Thursday, December 08, 2005

Delaware Day

This Delaware Day I learned that people from Scotland have much more Delaware spirit than people from Oregon, California, or Idaho.

Yesterday morning when I wished my flatmate from Oregon a Happy Delaware Day she brought up Pearl Harbor and insulted Delaware.

My flatmate from California was considerably less bahhumbug, but one year I wrote Delaware Day greeting letters and a guy from California tore up my letter.

I wished an intern from Idaho Happy Delaware Day in an e-mail. He titled his reply, "a day that will live in infamy."

People from Scotland received my Delaware Day greetings much more warmly. They asked me how I planned to celebrate (not by writing letters to people from California) and returned my greetings. And one Scotsman called a friend in Australia to wish her a Happy Delaware Day.

And so Delaware Day was saved after all. I'm all for remembering Pearl Harbor (Hiroshima and Nagasaki too), but not at the expense of forgetting the single most important day in the history of our U.S. Constitution. Delaware Day resonates with the people living in Scotland and Australia because they love democracy. And people from Oregon, California, and Idaho.....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a hater...stop drinking so much haterade

1:29 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Did I tear up the letter?

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home